The Tour Du Mont Blanc: Some Tips I Learned Along The Way

The Tour du Mont Blanc: Some Tips I Learned Along the Way

At 66, I felt like a father to the hiking community when I climbed Mont Blanc this fall. But the Tour du Mont Blanc can be done for any physically fit hiker, and there were many people much older than me on the road.

For absolute beginners like me and Shelly, it makes sense to be proactive about health and safety. Here are some tips I've learned along the way.

Comfortable shoes, wrinkled socks, fine powder and moleskin are essential for smooth skin. So obsessed with equipment, we invest in good backpacks (Osprey), fleece (socks, underwear, T-shirts) and great hiking boots. I have never been grateful to wear a cap in Europe.

I was skeptical of many of the "good ideas", but ended up liking two things which were my daily pack and my bottle of mineral water. (I complained about the high price of $ 40 ... but I soon realized it was a great value.)

I have to say that if the weather turns bad and it starts raining a lot, I don't think most of the track will be fun. Indeed, it would be dangerous. Walking sticks are essential and, even in good weather, I would worry about the trail without my confidence.

Eat a big breakfast. The day we had a protein-free breakfast, the climb was much more difficult.

Apply sunscreen even if the weather is bad.

After learning my lesson on other long walks, I decided to join the Tour du Mont Blanc, which has been done religiously from the very beginning. I did six stretches and spent time all day making sure not to push myself too hard. very important!

Don't be a hero. If the skin gets hot, roll it up. I went to a maximum of TMB without blisters, and then only had one on purpose in the last couple of hours.

Good equipment, smart and proactive ways to stay healthy, stretch, relax ... it all works great.

I'll share more photos, stories and tips in the November 29th issue of Monday Night Ride from Mont Blanc. Do you want to go? Join now for fun and it's free! - Event.

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post